Join Our Team
District Long Term Care Ombudsman
Do you have a heart for serving our community members living in long-term care facilities? Become a part of a statewide team of advocates dedicated to free, confidential assistance to Tennesseans residing in long-term care facilities including nursing homes, assisted care living facilities, and residential homes for the aged. The Ombudsman is available to help residents and their families by answering questions and working to resolve problems such as issues related to care or quality of life. This is a full time (37.5 hours per week) position. Initial certification training, as well as ongoing training with ombudsmen from across Tennessee, will be provided. The district covers the 13 South Central Tennessee Counties of Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Giles, Hickman, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Marshall, Maury, Moore, Perry, and Wayne.
- Must possess an undergraduate degree from a four year college or university. An interest in social services, advocacy and related fields preferred.
- The equivalent of three years of full-time work experience with at least two years in aging, long-term care service, social services and /or advocacy, or related fields. We encourage those with comparable experience to apply, as comparable experience may be substituted at the discretion of the State of Tennessee Long-Term Care Ombudsman (SLTCO). Experience may be substituted for undergraduate education, as well.
- Pass a criminal background check by national, state and local law enforcement agency.
- Travel is required, must have reliable transportation.
- Volunteer recruiting and management experience.
- Public Speaking and Outreach experience.
The successful candidate will also possess the following qualities:
- Ability to engage effectively in problem solving and empower others to do so.
- Skills in arbitration, conciliation, or negotiation.
- Experience and/or education in gerontology or aging issues.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations related to long-term care.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish working relationships with nursing home residents and their families.
- Experience in managing multiple activities while meeting deadlines.
*Due to federal regulations in the Older Americans Act the chosen candidate can NOT have worked in a long term care facility (SNF, ACLF, RHA) within the past two years, as this is a direct conflict of interest with the program.
The salary is $45,000 annually and an excellent benefit package is included. You may apply online at: www.sctdd.org; email resumes to: email@example.com or mail to: South Central TN Development District, Attn: Human Resources Manager, 101 Sam Watkins Blvd., Mt. Pleasant, TN 38474. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. South Central TN Development District is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color or national origin in federal or state sponsored programs, pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d).
Administrative Assistant Ombudsman
Staff members in this class are under the general supervision of the Director of Aging and specific supervision of the Ombudsman. The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of administrative, secretarial and clerical duties of a moderately difficult nature.
Administrative Job Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative support to Ombudsman to ensure efficient operation of office.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Composes routine correspondence for Ombudsman.
- Answers phone calls, schedules meetings.
- Creates and designs flyers, inserts, emails, and letters.
- Carries out administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning.
- Exhibits polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail.
- Maintains records and files according to standard established procedures.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member to evaluate situations and make sound decisions.
- Travel may be required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent education.
- 1-2 years clerical, secretarial, or other office experience
- Should be proficient in software including: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat
Applicant must be able to pass a criminal background check by national, state, and local law enforcement and provide a valid Tennessee Driver’s License and proof of vehicle insurance, with at least $250,000 limit of liability coverage.
Mailing Address: Attention: Employment
101 Sam Watkins Blvd.,
Mt. Pleasant, TN 38474